Upon successful completion of the Physical Education program at our school, students will value physical activity and its contributions to a healthy lifestyle. Students will appreciate the relationships with others that result from participation in physical activity. Students will learn the knowledge and skills to select and participate in physical activity safely, competently, and with personal satisfaction. Students will develop health-related fitness, physical competence, cognitive understanding, and a positive attitude about physical activity. Students will respect the role that regular physical activity plays in their pursuit of lifelong health and a physically active lifestyle.
Our primary purpose is to graduate successful life-long learners who are responsible citizens in the global community. Lab students in collaboration with their teachers, parents, and the school community, will develop as motivated, self-reliant, creative, and ethical individuals who respect differences in others. The Physical Education curriculum can provide a means of fulfilling the needs that our challenging society has created. The curriculum offers students a wide variety of opportunities to gain knowledge of and proficiency in the basic skills, exercises, and activities needed for body maintenance, and the pursuit of leisure time activities. The aim is to allow each individual to gain an understanding of the human body and to be motivated to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Physical Education at the Lab school provides students with the fundamentals, knowledge and basic skills to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. Students are provided with a balanced sequential program of age appropriate activities such as: fitness, rhythm and dance, cooperative games, movement education as well as individual and team activities. The physical education program provides a positive environment, conducive to learning, enjoying, and building self-confidence. Students interact in an environment that fosters growth and development allowing the students to grow not only physically, but also intellectually, socially, and emotionally. Our students will exhibit qualities of respect, responsibility, empathy, and sportsmanship through participation in variety of physical education activities. An effective physical education program is an integral part of every student’s formal educational experience.
A PHYSICALLY EDUCATED PERSON
HAS learned skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Moves using concepts of body awareness, spacial awareness, effort, and relationships.
- Demonstrates competence in a variety of manipulative, locomotor, and nonlocomotor skills.
- Demonstrates competence in combinations of manipulative, locomotor, and nonlocomotor skills performed individually and with others.
- Demonstrates competence in many different forms of physical activity.
- Demonstrates proficiency in a few forms of physical activity.
- Is learning new skills continually.
IS physically fit.
- Assesses, achieves, and maintains physical fitness.
- Designs safe personal fitness programs in accordance with principles of training and conditioning.
DOES participate regularly in physical activity.
- Participates in health enhancing physical activity at least three times a week.
- Selects and regularly participates in lifetime physical activities.
KNOWS the implications of and the benefits from involvement in physical activities.
- Identifies the benefits, costs, and obligations associated with regular participation in physical activity.
12. Recognizes the risk and safety factors associated with regular participation in physical activity.
- Applies concepts and principles to the development of motor skills.
- Understands that wellness involves more than being physically fit.
- Knows the rules, strategies, and appropriate behaviors for selected physical activities.
- Recognizes that participation in physical activity can lead to multicultural and international understanding.
- Understands that physical activity provides the opportunity for enjoyment, self-expression, and communication.
VALUES physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle.
- Appreciates the relationships with others that result from participation in physical activity.
- Respects the role that regular physical activity plays in the pursuit of lifelong health and well being.
- Cherishes the feelings that result from regular participation in physical activity